Lake Anne Elementary School
North Shore Drive, One Block east of Wainwright Drive
6 Mile Walk
Measured: 5.82 mile
View: Start Location /
- From Lake Anne Elementary School parking lot, turn right onto North Shore Drive.
- Pass Wainwright Drive once, but turn right on Wainwright the 2nd time you come to it.
- Left on Reston asphalt path about one block from Wainwright.
- Follow path through the "Summit" apartment complex and along Reston Parkway, turning right at the underpass to go under Reston Parkway.
- Left onto the sidewalk/path along Reston Parkway. Bear left at 2 triangles to stay close to Reston Parkway.
- Cross Bluemont Way and turn left to cross Reston Parkway with the walk light.
- Follow the asphalt path down to the W&OD Trail. Turn left on the W&OD.
- Continue on the W&OD Trail until Wiehle Avenue.
- Turn left onto sidewalk along Wiehle Avenue. Cross North Shore Drive.
- Turn left onto Fairway Drive.
- Turn left onto asphalt path just before Fairway Drive ends at North Shore Drive.
- Option 1 (3 miles): At "T" intersection go right uphill to cross North Shore Drive back to Lake Anne Elementary School.
- Option 2 (6 miles): At "T" intersection turn left downhill to go under Fairway Drive.
- The path continues between brick townhouses and into woods. With marina on left and playground on right, go straight.
- The path becomes a cement sidewalk in front of a group of homes. Stay on the sidewalk.
- At the end of the homes the sidewalk turns into an asphalt path again and goes behind some homes with the lake on the left.
- At first street turn left onto sidewalk in front of homes with small playground on right.
- The sidewalk turns into an asphalt path when street ends. Lake will appear on left again.
- Asphalt path emerges onto a cul-de-sac. Follow the sidewalk to the left to the other end of the road. Sidewalk will end.
- Turn left onto asphalt path which will cross the Lake Anne dam.
- Turn left onto sidewalk.
- Take the asphalt path at the end of the street. The path goes down a grassy hill.
- Turn left at the "Y" in the path and go up the hill.
- Stay to the left at the top of the hill.
- Turn right onto the sidewalk and follow the street (Waters Edge Lane).
- Bear left to follow the sidewalk by the play equipment.
- Follow the sidewalk to the end of the street.
- Follow sidewalk up a small hill.
- Turn left onto the sidewalk. Lake Anne is now in front of you.
- Turn right onto asphalt path. Walk through parking area (lake on left).
- Walk down the wide steps on the left onto Lake Anne Plaza. Walk through the plaza, toward the high-rise (Huron House).
- Turn right to follow the water at the end of the high rise.
- The path crosses a bridge. Turn right onto the path along the water.
- Bear right at "Y" intersection and continue under North Shore Drive at underpass into Hickory Cluster.
- Stay straight past RA markers #15 and #14. Take next left going between trash can and raised manhole cover.
- At swings, bear right.
- If gate ahead is open go through to parking lot at Lake Anne Elementary School. If the gate is closed, take the nature trail on the left before the gate.Go into church parking lot and bear right. At the end of the drive, turn right on North Shore Drive back to the school.
The first 3 Miles of this course are identical with the 3-mile walking course from Lake Anne Elementary School.